[Interview begins at 56:13] This week, my guest is Capt. Drew Price, an expert on fishing large, multi-story, multi-species lakes. Drew h
[Interview begins at 56:13]
This week, my guest is Capt. Drew Price, an expert on fishing large, multi-story, multi-species lakes. Drew has pioneered methods for catching unusual and fascinating freshwater fish, such as bowfin, gar, and freshwater drum. He also loves to fish for trout, bass, and carp, but there are days on his home water, Lake Champlain, when those popular fish may not cooperate. And it’s fun to fill your life list with new species, some of which may live in your own backyard. If you’re looking for a new challenge, want to escape summer’s crowded trout rivers, or if your rivers are too warm, learn about how you can fish large lakes for all kinds of cool fish.
In the Fly Box, we have lots of thought-provoking questions, including:
- What should I pack for my trip to Alaska, and how should I pack my waders?
- Why did they use heaver stuff, like size 8 wet flies and 3X leaders, back in the 1930s through 1950s?
- Why am I missing brown and rainbow trout striking my leech pattern?
- Why am I missing small cutthroat trout on my dry flies?
- I see large brown trout very close to me in a heavily fished river, but they won’t take any of my flies. Are they spooked?
- Tips from a listener on how to store rods and other tackle.
- Why do some rods not have hook keepers?
- What fishing fiction do you recommend, beyond Big Two-Hearted River and A River Runs through It?
- For fishing hopper patterns, should I go long and fine or short and heavy with my leader?
- I caught some big rainbow trout but also saw some huge suckers in the same river. How can I catch those suckers on a fly?
- Where is the best place to set down your rod and reel when switching flies or leaders?
- If I see some debris on my nymph, should I clean it off?
- How does the hard-sided Orvis stripping basket compare to collapsible mesh versions?
- When I release trout, should I try to feed them mealworms or something to make up for them losing a meal?